FOODS FOR YOUR FACE: 5 FALL SUPERFOODS
Here at Kari Gran, we’ve never been shy about encouraging a holistic approach to your all natural skin care regime, as truly, products can only get you so far. What you eat and drink impacts your complexion, for better or worse. With fall upon us, I wanted to share a few in-season superfoods for your skin. If they catch your eye, eat in abundance!
1. Pumpkin – These are not just for Halloween and crafts –pumpkins are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, found in both the flesh and the seeds. Eating pumpkins can help repair sun damage and slow the aging process. Here’s an advanced new trick to try that’s loaded with protein…homemade pumpkin seed milk! Soak one of cup pumpkin seeds in filtered water overnight. Next day, hang them to dry in a mesh vegetable bag to get the sprouting effects. Next morning, blend seeds with 4 cups filtered water in Vitamix. Pour milk through mesh bag over jar and squeeze milk through pulp. It will keep in the fridge for up to five days. We have a client who swears by it, and her skin is *gorgeous*
2. Cranberries – More than the turkey’s sidekick, these tiny super fruits are packed with antioxidants that contribute to the anti-aging process, while relieving skin conditions such as acne, dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema. A tasty way to get these little gems into your diet is with homemade trail mix. Dump together equal parts organic dried cranberries (the natural ones, skip those with added sugar), raw pistachios and pumpkin seeds (extra bonus!) and raw almonds. If you’re feeling indulgent, sneak in a few chocolate chips.
3. Carrots – Always remember these two words when it comes to carrots: Beta Carotene. It’s the natural compound that gives foods orange color, but more importantly, it’s an anti-aging celebrity. I sometimes laugh when I see processed foods touting “with added Beta Carotene”…skip the processed stuff and go munch on a carrot stick! Baby carrots are easy to keep on hand, and a simply dip of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt and paper will make them even more delish.
4. Pears – These little lovelies contain Vitamin C, Vitamin K and copper that help in fighting free radicals that damage skin cells. Pears can also help combat many skin conditions including oily skin, acne, wrinkles and dryness.
5. Beets – Love ‘em or hate ‘em, beets means business when it comes to great skin. They are high in folate, Vitamin A and Vitamin C, iron, potassium, manganese and fiber…all of these combined help with cell turnover, which in turn helps prevent premature aging and wrinkles. Beets also increase the movement of oxygen through our blood flow, keeping skin bright, fresh and healthy. I personally can never go wrong with a beet salad.
Next time you’re visiting your local grocery of farmers market, snap up some of these skin must-have fall superfoods and enjoy!