Exploring Green Beauty: Go-To Resources
There’s an incredible amount of “green living” resources available to consumers these days. I’m not complaining, I love it, but it can be tricky to figure out which ones are relevant, reputable and overall accurate. I spend a lot of time online, searching for the best of the best, and to discover new tips and tricks to live a healthy lifestyle and foster a healthy environment. Here are a handful of my personal favorite go-to resources, and here’s to learning more about being green when you can!
• No More Dirty Looks: My favorite beauty blog! The clean beauty experts and co-founders, Siobhan O’Connor and Alexandra Spunt, are up to all kinds of things. Most importantly, informing consumers how to make safe, natural and responsible choices that are both easy and effective. They cover everything from skin care, to hair, makeup, nails, sleeping, meditation, healthy eating, etc. I never tire of their insightful advice.
• Environmental Working Group: The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a non-profit, American environmental organization that specializes in research and advocacy in the areas of toxic chemicals, agricultural subsidies, public lands, and corporate accountability. EWG’s mission is to “use the power of public information to protect public health and the environment.” What I personally love about them is their entity Skin Deep – a cosmetics safety database which pairs ingredients in over 79,000 products against 50 toxicity and regulatory databases. Consumers can use it online or as an on-the-fly shopping app to search by ingredient or product and know what you’re really getting into.
• Organic Spa: I’ve been a subscriber to this beautiful magazine for many years. It’s more than just spas. It’s about overall wellness and life balance, providing the eco-conscious consumer (you…me!) a new way of living, thinking and being.
• Treehugger: A true wealth of knowledge found here. Treehugger’s overall mission is “dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream” – a misison that’s music to my ears. Beyond beauty, which is actually a rather small portion of the news and information, the site provides up-to-the-minute blog, newsletters and social media news surrounding business, science, technology, energy and more.
• Organic Beauty Talk: A beautiful, informative site that covers beauty, fashion, home, pets, travel and more. The founder tests hundreds of products and services each year, and that means an incredible amount of reviews, “best” lists, helpful research, informative tips and so on. I’m a big fan of their ingredients to avoid list – take a read and double check your products at home.
Happy reading, surfing and green beauty learning!